Friday, June 27, 2014

Felt Christmas Trees

In October, I visited Home Sense, and saw this. I really liked it and took a quick picture, not expecting that I would end up actually trying to remake it. It is a cardboard cone tree with felt and fake berries glued on. The price was ridiculous - about $20 for 1 16-inch tall cone tree. I really liked it and wanted to add it to my Christmas stash.




Enter Michael's and Fabricland! 

Materials:
2  8-inch cardboard cones
tacky glue
sparkly foam balls
25 inches each of 2 different colours of felt

All told, I spent a total of about $20.50 before tax ($10.25 each) and ended up with these:

Tree 1
Tree 2

Tree 1 ended up much more loosely wound than Tree 2 and a little messier, since it was a learning experiment. I am happy with how the balls look against the darker green, and how much of the cardboard is covered. Tree 2 has much tighter felt, and the layers are thinner. I love this tree the most!

What I learned from this project: I should have painted the cones before gluing on the felt. The cardboard shows through a bit, so it doesn't look as finished as it could have.

My favourite part of this project: I like my trees much better than the ones I saw in the store, since the fabric isn't as loose, and there is less cardboard showing through.  I definitely get the pride of having done something myself, and people love them when they're displayed. I also really like the look achieved by using the sparkle balls, since they look much less sparse than the berries on the original trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment