Friday, June 27, 2014

Baby Blues Quilt

This quilt was a great learning experience for me. Trying to keep a puckered minky fabric flat while quilting it is difficult, but the final result is worth it.

Materials:
dimpled minky fabric
Warm 'n White cotton batting
cotton flannelette backing
pre-made satin blanket binding

Because I wanted to create a pieced look (I used one piece of each fabric), I quilted with straight lines that were 3 inches apart.


A month or so after being given this quilt, the giftee's mother informed me that the satin binding had fallen off. I was not impressed, as the store I purchased the binding from assured me that this binding would be machine washable. This quilt was given to a little girl, so I decided to remake it with a more girly binding.  I made my own binding from a flowery quilting cotton, rebinding only the top part of the quilt, and leaving the flannelette fully visible. My favourite part of this repair is how the minimal blue in the cotton binding is set off by the blue of the quilt top. To date, the repair has held up.

 Baby Blues Blanket Repair

 Baby Blues Blanket Repair & Detail


What I learned from making this quilt: Pin stretchy fabrics to non-stretchy fabrics with the longest pins you can find. Place pins as close together as you can. Never use satin blanket binding. Because of this experience, I resolved to continue making my own bindings, or to use pre-made broadcloth binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment